Eric and Phil are at it again, this time rebuilding our back deck about 2' longer and 6' wider than the previous. Eric has been planning out the details all week. They started the morning with a trip to Home Depot for materials and had the old deck completely disassembled by lunchtime. Since then however, there have been more challenges, an old concrete sidewalk was uncovered where they wanted to place one of their posts. Luckily it's only 2-3" deep so it's breaking up pretty well. We're hoping to see Kwaku perform at the Corner Store in Capitol Hill tonight at 8pm but Eric says we have to get these footers poured tonight, no matter what time it is, so that they can start building the deck tomorrow, so I think Kwaku's concert is up in the air...
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Long time no post! We're married now! Phil came down 2 weekends ago and he and Eric coated the roof with a white membrane that they describe as having the consistency of marshmallow fluff. The coating had 2 purposes, one to extend the life and water-resistance of the roof and 2) to reflect light and heat from the roof, thus reducing the cost of cooling the house. We weren't quite organized enough to take before & after temperature readings in the attic, but we did take before & after photos below. It's almost blinding it's so bright!
Next is a photo I took last weekend of Eric on the roof through one of the skylights. He's a little obsessive about keeping them clean and they provide an awesome amount of light to the house during the day, so it's important to keep them that way. We're both a little giddy about living in our first house ever with skylights! This photo also shows off our very cool tracking lighting above the stairs.
This weekend, we are rebuilding the back deck with Phil's help. It's going to be about 6' wider and 2' longer than the current one and made of gray composite decking. Just the 1st phase of the backyard beautification!
Monday, February 21, 2011
Finished just after Christmas, these are the finished metal stairs and rails designed by Eric (notice the single stringer). They look amazing! Even this project was not without challenges, as the welder's first attempt to assemble them was not level or aligned so we made them cut it all apart and redo. I'm looking forward to planting up the yard in just a couple more months!